Snacking can be an important way of maintaining your energy throughout the day and preventing your sweet tooth from emerging in late-night snacking. Here, our Orleans physical therapist team explains give some examples of healthy snacks you could incorporate into your day and explain why snacking can be so important.
Fitting small snacks into your day can help to promote energy levels throughout your day and can help to prevent cravings in the night. Generally, a balanced snack would include two items from the following food groups: grain products, fruits and vegetables, dairy products and meat or alternatives.In order to optimize your snack's nutritional value, it should be a good source of protein and contain a minimal amount of processed foods. A registered dietitian can help you make healthier choices and provide you with tips to include snacks in your routine.
Examples of Healthy Snacks
Here are a few ideas for healthy snacks:
- 2 Tbsp. of “easy trail mix” (see below)
- Two (2) almond butter energy balls
- 30g of cheddar cheese with 1 cup of grapes
- An apple cut in slices with 1 Tbsp. of natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon of hummus with 1 cup of baby carrots and sliced cucumber
- An individual Greek yogurt (100g) with 1 Tbsp. of ground flaxseed sprinkled on top
Almond Butter Energy Balls recipe:
- 2/3 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup natural almond butter
- ¼ cup honey OR maple syrup
In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients (oats, coconut, chocolate chips). In another bowl, mix wet ingredients (almond butter, honey). Combine wet to dry ingredients and make small balls (roughly 1 Tbsp each). Store in the refrigerator for about 1 week or freeze to keep for later.
Easy Trail Mix recipe:
- 1 cup unsalted almonds
- ¼ cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
Add all ingredients to a large Mason jar and mix. Optional: Pre-portion (2 Tbsp. each) in small containers or bags to make it easier to grab on your way out or to keep at your desk for a quick snack.